Hiya nerds! What Dreams is at 39,013 words, up from 36,042 for April. Far behind my extravagant 10,000-a-month goal, but still an improvement. I didn’t do much on weekdays, but usually several thousand each weekend. Those are in short bursts, so it bothers me that I can’t reliably manage short bursts on weekdays. It’s totally counterintuitive. I’m thinking of designing a chart of some kind to see how and when the bursts work best, because I think there may be some build-up time that I’m not getting on weekdays. (Or maybe I’m just more tired on weekdays and don’t even want to fool with a fifteen-minute burst, there’s that too. But I’m resolved to hack myself somehow, and figuring out my pattern is step one.)
The entire rest of this post is supplemental viewing, because I went a little nuts with movies this month. Several I’ve mentioned in Sunday Posts, and I saw Age of Ultron at the beginning of the month and reviewed it on Sourcerer with a friend, but here are the specifically sci-fi movies:
- Predator. I’ve meant to see this for years, because I love Terminator so much. It was great! Surprisingly good production for the time, and I love that it’s an action movie BUT SUDDENLY ALIENS.
- Island of Terror, which I talked about for the Film Preservation Blogathon. It’s a cheap 1966 horror movie that spawned a Peter Cushing obsession in which I’ve been indulging ever since. I love Peter Cushing. Lots of old horror movies, some of them with a sci-fi bent, like the delightful Horror Express of 1972.
- The Last Starfighter, on the big screen no less! The local libraries are doing sci-fi/fantasy/superhero themes for this year’s summer reading, and one of them has a theater in the basement. Aw yeah. I’ve seen this one a bajillion times but I can always stand one more!
- Flash Gordon (1980). I watched it at the behest of a coworker, but where has this movie been all my life?? This is my new favorite movie. More in an essay this weekend!
- Was planning to see Tomorrowland yesterday but had car trouble and couldn’t. It sounds like exactly the kind of retro sci-fi I like and want to write, though, so that’ll be soon!
Also, I live-tweeted several of these movies, and I do that more often than I post about them here. My Twitter link is in the sidebar, if you like that sort of thing.
How was your month, creatives?